Monday, May 12, 2014

Kansas City, MO

As I leave Springfield and head towards Kansas City I begin to think of all the events that will take place in that one weekend. The two and a half hour drive seems like thirty minutes when you see the sign that states that Harrisonville is 21 miles away. Getting off of 71 highway and onto the ramp creates a pleasing feeling within me because I know that I am almost home. Turning right onto 2 hwy where the gas station sits, always makes me wonder about my dad's childhood hometown. I begin to think about all of the stories my dad has told me. The stories that depict a very interesting childhood. His teenage years and how he got into so much trouble, became a reality as I drive through the small town. I make my turn onto 7 hwy and I know that I will soon be home. My regular pit stop at Casey's General Store can never be forgotten. As I pull up to the gas pump and step out of the car the smell of gasoline, and horse manure. It is not the best smell but it is familiar. As a grasp the gas pump handle the metal reminds of exactly how cold it is outside. The gas cap of my car reminds me of the frigid temperatures outside as I can barely turn it. Escaping the smell that has completely . A quick walk into the gas station allows for a better smell. The smell of pizza. The smell of the pizza cooking is one of my favorites. When they put that warm pizza box in my hand, I can't help but smile.


Smells:

The smell of this place is like any other small town. The smell of horse and cow manure fills the air. The only time to escape this smell if by walking into the Casey's General Store where the smell of pizza is quite a relief.

Touch:

Before entering the gas station to pick up my delicious taco pizza I must pump the gas. The feeling of the cold nozzle reminds me that it is still winter. My fingers hurt when I turn the gas cap because they are so cold which is yet another reminder of the frigid temperatures outside.

Hear:

While in Harrisonville the sounds of big diesals seem to be everywhere. It must be because of the weigh station a couple miles away. 


Taste:

Stopping at the Casey's General store is so exciting. My mouth instantly water knowing that I am so close to getting my beloved Taco pizza. I love that way the cheese melts and the lettuce is warmed by the freshly baked pizza. The pizza would not taste as good as it does with out the taco sauce that they give with it. As soon as I enter the door I realize that I can actually taste the smell of the pizza. I find it interesting how our senses work.

No comments:

Post a Comment